That's unfair!  It hadn't been accepted when I wrote that! :-)

>  (3?  That's pathetic!)

Hey, you have commit rights everywhere -- go for it!

They are regression unit tests to match the issues fixed so far.  I
think a 'ten test-case penalty' is appropriate for every name-calling
incident ;-)  Besides as others have said, there are other test suites
out there.

>> What is the useful distinction for regression tests being kept separate?
>>  I can see that you may distinguish unit and 'system-level' tests just
>> because of the difference in frameworks etc. required, but why do I care
>> if the test was written due to a JIRA issue or test-based development or
>> someone who get's kicks out of writing tests to break the code?
>
> Well, it's been my experience that unit tests generally are fairly
> straightforward and isolated, where a regression test used to
> demonstrate a bug might be fairly complicated, incorporating more than
> the single unit you are trying to test/fix/debug/whatever.

Well like I wrote, I can see that distinction and agree -- but
complexity is not based on whether it is a regression or not.  Put the
test into a unit test bucket if it sits naturally there, otherwise it is
in a suite that may require more complex set-up/environment etc. and
maybe some scenario driving.

<snip>

>> I've never used TestNG, so have no opinion at the moment.  What's so
>> good about it?
>
> I'll report back.
>
> Since we have no current setup for tests, I'll assume some leeway to
> take a run at it as there are no existing toes to step on.  First task
> will be to get your 3 [pathetic! :) ] unit tests running

Well now the security contribution has been accepted your task has grown.

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.