Tim Ellison wrote:

>For 'normal' application code then you can do this, but since we are
>writing the java packages themselves then you come unstuck because the
>java packages have to run on the bootclasspath, and the tests on the
>application classpath.
>
>You don't want to run all your tests on the bootclasspath (because then
>it would not be subject to the same security sandboxing as applications
>using the APIs you are testing); and you cannot put java.<whatever> on
>the application classpath because the VM will catch you out (you'd get
>linkage error IIRC).

Not 'all' tests - just unit tests for classlib :-)

I don't see big problems with sandbox and running unit tests on the
bootclasspath. The sandbox consists of three elements: verifier, class
loader and security manager. IMHO, most of classlib unit tests don't
depend on sandbox and are designed to verify tested class functionality
only. For example, if I want to verify that 1+1=2 why I have to remember
about sandbox? Some of them may depend on security manager component if
you like to run a test in some security restricted environment. But it
is not a big issue: the security manager component can be configured
dynamically and you should install your custom security manager before
running a test.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura