> This ties us hard to JUnit.  That's my only worry.  I'd like to also
> keep in consideration how ant, maven, etc can drive this aspect of testing..

Definitely. However 'system-related' scenarious are usually quite
complicated and can hardly perform the required environment settings
(tools installation, platform configuration, etc) from JUnit test. We
should be prepared to have test cases which are only partially in
JUnit format or even not at all. That's why we can benefit from having
separate tree for those tests (and test runners driven by ant or what
ever).
Btw, I agree with a comment regarding the package visibility when
using different trees: more packages - more problems. But I think it
can be easily solved (by using some common place, for instance:
test/common).

--
Anton Avtamonov,