Hi Weldon,

Weldon Washburn wrote:
Archie,
I am working on kernel_path String.java.
The only VM specific method in String currently is intern. However, inclusion of this method in the kernel forces the VM vendor to implement the rest of the String class, which has no further VM specific code.

Can we propose to move String out of kernel and into LUNI, and reroute Strings intern call through an intern method the VM class in kernel? This was mentioned in a JIRA comment made by Tim a couple of weeks ago:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200601.mbox/[EMAIL
 PROTECTED]

So the String implementation will be held in LUNI, and its intern method will just make a direct call to VM.intern(String), which is in the kernel. This means that a VM vendor only needs to produce the intern method (in VM.java), and not the rest of the String class, cutting down the kernel size and the resulting workload for the VM vendor.

It wants to call a native
method to do the intern work.  If you plan to add a native method that
does String intern, I won't spend the time doing interning in Java
code.   I think this code is related to  _jc_ilib_entry table.  Do you
have thoughts on the best approach?

Thanks

--
Weldon Washburn