karan malhi wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Thanks for such a detailed reply. I have a couple of  more questions:
> 1. Do I have to sign and fax back the questionnaire before I start
> working on harmony ?

You can start working straight away!  but before we can accept your
contributions into the project we'll need to have a completed
questionnaire.  If you have not worked on a java implementation before
then it should only take a couple of minutes to complete.

See the contribution policy here:
    http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/contribution_policy.html

and the questionnaire here:
    http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/auth_cont_quest.html

> 2. I know this is dumb but I saw in some previous posts that the tests
> were being compiled with jrockit. I guess I can use any compiler (sun)
> without causing any licensing issues - right? Sorry, but I am very poor
> with this licensing stuff. Just want to make sure I am playing within
> the rules of the game.

You can use whichever compiler you want (ensuring it is 1.4 compliant
;-) ), and then can compare your results against any complaint java
implementation (e.g. Sun, BEA, IBM, ...).  Tests should be written to
the javadoc spec, rather than deducing behavior from any particular
implementation.

--

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.