Hi,

 So what we'd need now is a mechanism to override
the automatic choice of "platform".  I wouldn't be too surprised if
someone decided to create "platforms" for the other two (?) choices of
windows implementation - cygwin native and cygwin w/o cygwin.dll.
??? native windoze and cygwin, or do I miss something?

The cygwin.dll acts as an emulation layer for all those POSIX functions that Windows doesn't have. If a program doesn't call any of the functions provided by cygwin.dll, then, this library is not needed and, I guess, it's not even loaded.

GCC, when used on Cygwin, produces always a native executable file for Windows, and
the extension is .exe.

Enrico