I've started to lay down some build scripts within each module for
people who use the command line (as opposed to Eclipse) for development.

These 'module builds' assume that you have a working Harmony JRE in the
deploy/jre directory, and the associated VM overlaid.  Steps for this
'bootstrapping' build should be familiar, and are described on the
website[1].

Once you have the initial Harmony JRE built you can work in a single
module and compile (using the Harmony JRE & Eclipse compiler) and test
changes to just that module.

So, for example, if I want to work in NIO, I can 'cd' into modules/nio
and hack on the source code and tests in there, compile the NIO code by
typing 'ant' in modules/nio/make, and test by typing 'ant test' in that
same dir.

NB: The compile step replaces the nio.jar in the deploy/jre/lib/boot
directory (so if you really screw up you'll have to revert and run the
global build again!)

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/build_classlib.html

p.s.  it is still a work in progress