Stepan Mishura wrote:
On 3/13/06, George Harley wrote:
Richard Liang wrote:
George Harley wrote:
Hi Mikhail (again),

Just a couple of brief observations about the SerializationTest.java
code as it stands in SVN today :

1) The reference/golden .dat files for Serializable classes in a
given module could be added under the module's src/test/resources
directory (in sub-folders corresponding to their package names). In
an Ant build these would be copied under the test bin using a tweaked
version of the "copy-test-resources" target (see the proposed changes
to make/build-java.xml contained in the HARMONY-57). At runtime this
would make the .dat files available from the classpath.

Hello George,

It's good to put all test data files for one module into one folder,
such as "src/test/resources". However, there may be other options,
personally I'd like to put the test data file into the same directory
of the test case which uses the data file. This may make the
maintenance work easy. :-)
Anyway, I think we shall follow the same style.
Hi Richard,

Just to avoid any ambiguity here, what I proposed was to place the
reference serialization files *under* a given module's
src/test/resources folder in sub-folders that matched the package name
of the test class - and not just have them all in one folder.

For instance, the LUNI module could have a SimpleTimeZoneTest.dat file
located in the folder
<MODULE_ROOT>/src/test/resources/serialization/tests/api/java/util

Another alternative would be to use a tree structure that mirrored the
package name of the Serializable type under test.
e.g.

<MODULE_ROOT>/src/test/resources/serialization/java/util/SimpleTimeZoneTest.dat

To make it more clear because we talked only about data files for testing
serialization but I'm aware of all resource files. So we have the following
proposal:
<MODULE_ROOT>/src/test/resources
    img/               <== image files
    net/               <== net resource files
    other/             <== disembodied files, for example, policy files
    serialization/     <== data files for serialization

And during the build all resource files will be copied to: build/resources
directory. Right?

Thanks,
Stepan

Hi Stepan,

Yes, that sounds great - with the very minor suggestion that at build time these test resource files go to their corresponding sub-directories under the test bin (e.g. bin/test) which is separate from the bin folder (e.g. bin/main) that the stuff getting tested is compiled to.

Best regards,
George

I think that separating out all test artefacts from actual source code
is cleaner and IMHO makes the maintenance easier :-)

Using either Ant or <IDE of choice> it is pretty straightforward to get
these resources placed on the classpath when the tests are run.

Best regards,
George

2) The need for the "TEST_SRC_DIR" system property goes away if
method getDataFile() were updated to use java.net.URI.
e.g,

protected File getDataFile(int index) {
   String name = "/" + this.getClass().getName().replace('.', '/') +
"."
       + index + ".dat";
   return new
File(URI.create(this.getClass().getResource(name).toString()));

It seems to me that the src/test/resources directory would be an
ideal place to keep a module's reference .dat files.

Best regards,
George

George Harley wrote: