On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:10:52AM -0500, Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> SableVM is a project that I started during my Ph.D. studies within the
> Sable research lab at McGill university.
<snip/>

I seem to recall that you mentioned previously that if any part of
SableVM would move to be a part of harmony you'd prefer that the name
SableVM be kept...

...how does or would the Sable research lab and/or McGill university
feel about that? I can imagine the overall "sable" project might have
some claim (morally or legally or even both) to the "sable" name? (The
ASF has a bit of a tendency to get associated (by users) with the
"brand names" of its successful projects, and we wouldn't want to make
a mess of things by (for example) killing the "google ratings" for the
sable research lab website...)

Continuing on this thread...

> 1- Day to day development and maintenance of the user targeted VM code
>    happens within the Harmony repository.  SableVM contributors must
>    abide by Harmony rules to contribute to this so-called "SableVM
>    trunk".
>
> 2- Research and development of trunk-breaking features by SableVM
>    contributors continues within the SableVM repository, as not to
>    pollute the Harmony svn with random code.  Contribution back to the
>    SableVM trunk (within the Harmony svn) must happen under Harmony
>    rules.

I wonder whether it would be confusing to users/contributors/developers
that there would be a "SableVM trunk" at the ASF (which might very well
have branches and tags of its own) and then a "SableVM research effort"
"somewhere else".

It might be easier to invent a brand new name that somehow maintains an
association (I like an island around here called Texel. So as an example,
something like "Apache Harmony TexelVM") for the #1 effort, and the
SableVM name is kept for the #2 effort.

You get into explanations like

"Apache Harmony TexelVM is derived from the same codebase as the SableVM
effort at the <sable project>(link to website). SableVM these days uses
TexelVM as the stable basis for further research effort, and several
SableVM developers actively contribute to the TexelVM effort within
Harmony and are committers on the harmony project."

which to me seem easier if there is some distinct name. E.g. somewhat like
the distinction between JCVM and JCHEVM (with "HE" being Harmony Edition),
though SableHEVM doesn't really sound all that nice...

What do you think?

cheers,

Leo