On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 02:53:45PM +0600, Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> It's a freeware with its own license. The license prohibits using it
> for creating
> open source software "that requires the user of the MASM32 project to
> surrender
> the rights they are afforded under the MASM32 licence"
> http://masm32.com/mlicence.htm
> I'm not a legal person but I think it is OK for experimenting.

I'm not a legal person either but I think that is in many ways a completely
invalid and bogus license for any kind of software (I think much the same about
the microsoft EULAs I've read though). The license literally says

"The MASM32 project cannot be used to create open source software"

without defining what the "MASM32 project" is, what constitutes "use", what
constitutes "open source software". "Cannot" is also a useless statement in
this context, these kinds of statements should be along the lines of "no
license is granted to".

*shrug*.

Just make sure that there is no dependency within any of our codebase explicitly
on this "masm32 project" and that under no conditions any sort of binaries or
sources from these guys enters our code repository, and then I too guess using
it
for experimenting is okay.

But long term I'd rather see the need to pay for some software to be able to
develop on windows (after all you need to pay for windows too) than to depend on
some weird [EMAIL PROTECTED] tool.

carry on, carry on :-)

cheers,

Leo