To be really clear, because I can see room for misunderstanding - my mental context for this is the larger scope regarding how contributors retain rights.

Therefore I do think that a copyright holder has a say in a VM using Harmony's modules insofar that the copyright holders contribution is involved, and further, the license of VM doesn't respect the terms under which the copyright holder licensed the contribution to the creator of said VM.

I hope that's clearer.

geir

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

Dalibor Topic wrote:
Leo Simons wrote:

, that that can
lead to no end of confusion over the actual license of a VM using
modules from Harmony, if the SableVM developer believes to have a say in
it.

No I would say that it cannot, since that sablevm developer would at a minimum have licensed the software under the apache license to apache, and then apache would have licensed that software to the end user under the apache license, and
what that means is rather clear.

It's not clear at all to me from reading the ASL2, so let's spell it out: Would such a hypothetical developer have a say in the license of a VM using Harmony's modules or not? Cliff?

No.

I thought about this for a second more - the apache license is a license from each contributor of their contribution to the licensee, so I would guess that yes, any contributor could hypothetically have a say on what a licensee does w/in the boundaries of their contribution.

no, hold it, this is not true. Once you give a perpetual license, you can't revoke it. If you own some code, you can relicense it under different conditions, but since the license that you had before was a OSI license it gives other the ability to fork.

I wasn't suggesting that you could revoke it.

My thoughts were along the lines of what the apache license says - that each contributor gives each recipient some rights for their contribution according to the terms of the license.

If a recipient does not follow the terms of the license, what prevents any of the contributors from taking action, since the license is between each contributor and the recipient. The ASF is *a* contributor too, and therefore can take action because we have standing, but why can't each each contributor act independently if the terms of the license are violated for their particular contribution?

I dunno.  I am not a lawyer, and I'm really tired :)

The ability to fork is what saves users from copyright holders going wacko and changing the license in 'less then open source'.

Which means that you might own some code, but you don't own its usage dynamics once you enter an OSI/free-software licensing scheme.

Except if the terms of the license under which you provided the code aren't followed, right?