On 4/20/06, George Harley wrote:

> Hi Stepan,
>
> As I recall it ( I've not my morning coffee yet so it could get a bit
> unreliable here :-) ) the motivation for wanting resource files on the
> classpath was to enable serialization data files to be read in by test
> programs without depending on specific file locations. Copying such
> serialization data files to a bin location prior to running the tests
> obviously gets them on the classpath in a very simple way.

Yes, but we get the same if we just add resource directory to classpath -
that is simpler then copying.

The documentation for the Ant copy task states that that "files are only
> copied if the source file is newer than the destination file". I
> interpret that as meaning that we should not expect to see the copying
> of thousands of files each time we run the tests.

But the build removes 'bin' directory during clean up so all copied resource
files are removed too.

Thanks,
Stepan.

Best regards,
> George
>
> Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > Hi George,
> >
> > Some time ago we agreed to copy resource files to classpath (i.e.
> bin/test
> > directory). I saw that you added corresponing targets to build files.
> But
> > now I realized that I don't understand why we should copy them instead
> of
> > simply adding resource directory (i.e. src/test/resources) to classpath.
> May
> > be there are simple reasons to do this that I don't know but anyway ...
> so
> > why we have to copy thousands of files (there is no doubt that in future
> we
> > will have thousands of resource files) each time we run tests?
> > Thanks,
> > Stepan Mishura
> > Intel Middleware Products Division

Stepan Mishura