Or just put the test in java.lang as an implementation test.

We should resolve this. Among others, we're going to have spec tests, which Tim and others rightly point out that we need to be careful with and keep out of the boot classpath to ensure that tests happen in the context of userland.

However, with a good understanding of the limits, we should be also able to have the 'easy to use' same-package tests for implementation.

In that vein, we could also create a helper framework that lets us write tests in java.lang (for example) and it transforms into the helper Tim suggests automatically...

geir

Tim Ellison wrote:
I suggest you write a helper method to create a String with that
constructor using reflection (setAccessible(true)).

Nathan Beyer wrote:
Since I probably share some responsibility in the "String is special" topic
being brought up, I wanted to try out the "golden ticket" bit for some
further enhancements.

I've made some changes to String to add the new Java 5 APIs related to code
points, StringBuilder, etc.

I've posted a proposed patch on this issue [1]. I'd already opened this bug.
The patch contains updates to String and StringTest.

There is one concern that I have about the code and the test (and all String
tests we have in general). There's the possibility of a String being
constructed with a non-zero offset; there's a package-private constructor
String(int start, int len, char[] data). I haven't found any other way to
setup this variant and I'd like to test all of the methods when the offset
is greater than 0, but this requires the test case to be in the "java.lang"
package. I know this has been an issue that been discussed on and off, but
didn't think any concrete solution had been arrived at for doing this and I
haven't seen any test cases in the java package spaces.

Please let me know if there are any questions or if any more information is
needed. Thanks.

-Nathan