There have been some good suggestions, but I want to check and be sure that the project we propose has enough "original work" - IOW, there may be some requirement about new functionality.

Either way, I have another suggestion for a SOC project, which would be very benficial (IMO) to our classlib effort while at the same time requiring some VM headspace...

I'm talking about exploring my fantasies about a test framework that lets us do conventional "in the same package" unit-test authoring while giving us precise control over the classlibrary used to run the tests, as well as possibly other factors.

Sanket, read back through if you aren't aware. There are two related basic problems is this...

First, when we test the Harmony classlib, we use the harmony classlib to run JUnit to run the tests that test... the same classlib running JUnit. This should make anyone squeamish, because there is no "known good" base we are using for testing.

Second, we *can't* have tests for the java.* classes as unit tests in java.* package space, because they'd need to be on the boot classpath, and therefore aren't in the same "context" as user code.

So, the question is what to do.

1) Could we simply have a classloader that can be put in a special mode so it doesn't that unit tests for bootclasspath-resident packages are not on the boot classpath?

2) We can divide our tests into two types, "specification tests" (which can't be on boot classpath)for testing of the classlib's public behavior is as expected and "integration tests" which are tests which test private internal behavior. Some of these may suffer from context issues, which I think we can handle on a case by case basis.

Ideally, it would be great to be able to test the classlib in a controlled way, independent of the VM and classlib needed to run it. IOW, it would be interesting to be able to test our classlib independent of the VM running it, and independent of the 'hosting' classlib running the test harness to test the candidate classlib.

IOW :

    VM + host classlib + SpecialTestFramework(candidate classlib)

if that makes any sense...

Sanket Sharma wrote:
Hi..

I spent some time looking for open projects.. I would prefer contributing to
VM /Compiler code..but I'm open to any other suggestions... Can you guys please suggest something ???

Regards,
Sanket