Jimmy, Jing Lv wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>

>> Vladimir Gorr wrote:
>>> Mikhail,
>>>
>>> I also thought about this scenario. However, if any TCK tests will
>>> fail due
>>> to this reason
>>> we cannot certify our product. Nobody will talk about the invalidity
>>> of TCK.
>>> Most likely we will update our sources.
>>
>> 1) I hadn't thought about this before, but it seems much cleaner to
>> throw A (rather than B extends A) if the spec says to throw A.
>>
> I agree.
> But there are at least two exceptional situation:
> 1) several exceptions throws from one method, which extend one parent
> class, e.g. ConnectionException and UnknownHostException, javadoc writes
> "throws IOException" rather than "throws
> ConnectionException,UnknownHostException". And in implementation, we
> shall throw them out directly instead of
> try{...
> }catch(UnknownHostException e){
>     throw new IOException();
> }
> catch(ConnectionException e){
>     throw new IOException();
> }
> right? :)

+1, and other instances where super-types or super-interfaces declare
compatible throws clauses that are implemented in subclasses that throw
more specific subtypes.  I do not agree that we should be bound to throw
and exception of the identical type as the declaration.

> 2) and we may find some javadoc as "...then an unspecified error is
> thrown." For an example, in java.util.jar.Pack200.newPacker(). We can do
> nothing to meet such compatibility.

You can throw any Error to comply with that specification!

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.