On 4/27/06, Mikhail Loenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As far as most of serialization tests extend SerializationTest then
> having serialization test cases included into a regular unit tests
> would cause that ALL the tests will extend SerializationTest that is
> not very good.

Well, it is easy to allow serialization tests to be in the same
TestCase with others.
We just need to convert the existing schema with inheritance to the
delegation pattern. Or combine both approaches by adding public static
method to the SerializationTest which gets an Object and returns an
Object which were serialized and deserialized (similar to testSelf()
but without assertion). And public static accessor to golden files of
course.
May be it even make the tests more obvious:

Object deserialized = SerializationTest.serializeAndDeserialize(original);
assertEquals(original, deserialzied);

I don't think that having ser tests separated is a bad idea, however
having an additinal test file with one-two methods only for each api
class looks like a bit 'expensive' approach.

> Thanks,
> Mikhail
>
> 2006/4/27, Stepan Mishura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to discuss naming conventions for serialization tests - does it
> > make sense to separate serialization tests from unit tests?
> >
> > For example, in module security tests for serialization were placed into
> > separate packages:
> > java.security.serialization
> > java.security.cert.serialization
> > java.security.spec.serialization
> >
> > Also it is possible to put tests in the same package but name them in
> > different ways, for example,
> > SomeClassTest.java – unit test for SomeClass
> > SerSomeClassTest.java – serialization test for SomeClass
> >
> > Or we won't separate serialization tests from unit tests and will test
> > serialization by adding corresponding methods to unit test, for example,
> > public void testSerialization1()
> > public void testSerialization2()
> > public void testSerialization3()
> > public void testSerializationCorrupted()
> > public void testSerializationIllegalValues()
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stepan Mishura
> > Intel Middleware Products Division