On 4/28/06, Mikhail Loenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2006/4/27, Anton Avtamonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > On 4/27/06, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I say leave them mixed.  We are no more likely to want to run
> > > serialization tests separately than we are locking tests etc. and trying
> > > to layout the tests on disk to represent all the different metadata
> > > about each test case is not going to work.
> >
> > +1. usually we have test layout like: one class - one TestCase. I
>
> Sometimes we need different setUp and tearDown operations
> for different tests against the same class. This is best to be handled as
> multiple TestCases (or test classes in other words as TestCase can be
> ambiguous)

That's true. It happens quite often and has no correlation with some
particular type of tests (like serialization testing). When you need
to cover 50 methods of some class for instance, you can hardly expect
that all the preparation required for one of them is really needed for
others. I don't think that is a good reason to create separated test
cases. I'd prefer to use the most essential and common instantiations
in setUp() and provide further customization in each particular test.
I expected that is common approach...

IMHO the reason to introduce additinal TestCases can be when one need
to test something really 'separated'. Something, which requires
absolutely different setUp() and may even override runBare() (to run
tests in the another thread, etc).
For instance, it may be nesessary for multi-threading testing.

Wishes,
--
Anton Avtamonov,