In my opinion the presence a lot of patches for same contribution (until it
will be put to SVN) is not good idea.

It's very conveniently to have one patch if its size is not too big.
Otherwise we will have the issues with the maintenance.

Now we try to fix the build problems (using different versions of GCC
compiler). Tomorrow we will (possible) have to fix

new bugs. All these changes should be integrated to one patch. Then each of
us should not forget to accept this patch

not to once more step on rake figuratively speaking. My question is the
following. Whether is it possible to have

the temporary SVN branch where we could accept our patches?

Thanks,

Vladimir.

On 5/5/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Leo Simons wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 04:50:28PM -0700, Rana Dasgupta wrote:
>>   We should probably hold off on patching right now?
>
> I don't see why you can't attach patches to the relevant jira issue, if
the
> code is accepted then its likely the patch will be, too :-)

Personally, I'd prefer that new JIRAs are created and linked to the
original submission issue, because then we can accept and close JIRAs
atomically.

We ran into a problem when patches to patches were attached to the same
JIRA, and it becomes a bit confusing to try and figure out which is
right from the comments.

It's much cleaner to say "This patch replaced the patch in HARMONY-XYZ"
rather than "this patch replaces the other one I did before I submitted
the extra build file" or whatever...

> Patch management is going to be hard if there's a lot of patches, but
that's
> just further incentive to get things integrated more quickly ;-)
>
>>   The submission compiles and runs fine with XP V2, msvc VC7 and with
SUSE
>> 9.2 and GCC 3.3.4.
>>   We should pick the Linux/GCC version that we  run Harmony builds
>> regularly on and make all the changes in one shot to fix the compile on
>> that. Has this version already been identified?
>
> Hmm. I think the key is in making the buildsystem and the code aware of
> the linux/gcc version and adapt behaviour based on that.
>
>>> Is it ok to attach patch here or should I use JIRA?
>
> In general sending patches through the mailing list is not all that bad,
but
> the people integrating code (eg, Tim :-)) do seem to prefer to use JIRA,
so
> after talking about things on the list, adding them to jira does make
sense.

Yep - JIRA makes it much easier to track and search and know status.

geir