Ivan,
 Excellent. Pls submit to JIRA and link to original contribution, as Geir
suggests. Also attach some submission notes including successful build log
:-)

Rana

On 5/5/06, Ivan Volosyuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have made work release version of DRLVM build with GCC-4.1.0.
A small additional change in Class_File_Loader.cpp needed.
I can send a patch when we make a decision about patch policy.
--
Ivan

On 5/5/06, Ivan Volosyuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chris, try patch from Harmony-443 for gcc-3.4.6 it should also work for
> gcc-3.4.5. With the patch I was able to build VM and started eclipse.
>
> As for gcc-4.1.0, I have prepared patch which fixes all the compilation
> problem, code still builds and works if compiled by gcc-3.4.6 and now
> compiles on gcc-4.1.0, but when compiling with gcc-4.1.0 it fails to run
> eclipse with message:
>     java/lang/ClassFormatError : java/lang/Class: could not parse
> exceptions for method
> forName(Ljava/lang/String;ZLjava/lang/ClassLoader;)Ljava/lang/Class;
>
> --
> Ivan
> Intel Middleware Products Division
>

> On 5/5/06, Elford, Chris L <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vladimir,
> >
> >   In the process of getting compiler 3.3.4 to work, I uninstalled the
> > gcc that came with Fedora.  It is possible that g++ wasn't installed
> > completely by the Fedora installer and I hadn't installed updates on
> > that system that might have fixed it.   Since I've gotten it working
> > with 3.3.4, I hesitate to go change my configuration now to check.  I
> > currently have my system capable of switching between gcc 3.3.4, 3.4.5
,
> > and 4.0.3 via setting of PATH and use of ldconfig after
> > creating/tweaking /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aiee_compiler.conf.
> >
> >   With gcc 3.4.5, I get numerous errors in vm/jitrino/src/shared/Stl.h
> > regarding the need to define begin() and end():  "there are no
arguments
> > to 'end' that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of
'end'
> > must be available.
> >
> >   With gcc 4.0.3, I get the same template errors that I mentioned
> > yesterday.  These look like:
> >        [cc]
> > /usr/local/gcc-4.0.3/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.3/../../../../inc
> > lude/c++/4.0.3/bits/stl_tree.h:389: error: no matching function for
call

> > to 'Jit

rino::StlMMAllocator<Jitrino::VarOpnd*>::destroy(std::pair<Jitrino::VarO
> > pnd* con
> > st, Jitrino::VarOpnd*>*)'
> >        [cc] /usr/local/src/Harmony/vm/jitrino/src/shared/Stl.h:119:
> > note: candid
> > ates are: void Jitrino::StlMMAllocator<T>::destroy(T*) [with T =
> > Jitrino::VarOpn
> > d*]
> >
> > My box does currently have include/ext directories for the three
> > compilers in /usr/local/gcc-3.3.4/include/c++/3.3.4/ext,
> > /usr/local/gcc-3.4.5/include/c++/3.4.5/ext,
> > /usr/local/gcc-4.0.3/c++/4.0.3/ext.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris Elford
> > Intel Middleware Products Division

/usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> > > c/include/log4cxx/xml/domconfigurator.h:243: error: extra
> > qualification
> > > 'log4cxx::xml::DOMConfigurator::' on member 'subst'
> > >       [cc]

/usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> > > c/include/log4cxx/helpers/unicodehelper.h:98: error: extra
> > qualification
> > > 'log4cxx::helpers::UnicodeHelper::' on member 'lengthUTF8'
> > >       [cc]

/usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> > > c/include/log4cxx/helpers/unicodehelper.h:98: error: extra
> > qualification
> > > 'log4cxx::helpers::UnicodeHelper::' on member 'lengthUTF8'
> > >       [cc]

/usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> > > c/include/log4cxx/xml/domconfigurator.h:243: error: extra
> > qualification
> > > 'log4cxx::xml::DOMConfigurator::' on member 'subst'
> > >       [cc]

/usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> > > c/include/log4cxx/helpers/unicodehelper.h:98: error: extra
> > qualification
> > > 'log4cxx::helpers::UnicodeHelper::' on member 'lengthUTF8'
> > >
> > > 4) I switched back to a Fedora Core 4 system in the hopes that this
> > > would resolve the compiler issue.  Fedora Core 4 comes with gcc
> > 4.0.0-8.
> > > That doesn't see the errors above but has numerous warnings then
> > errors
> > > out with some C++ template prototype mismatches.  I can send a log
> > with
> > > the warnings/errors if desired.
> > >
> > > The readme indicates that gcc is supported [CXX=gcc].
> > >
> > > Is there a specific version of gcc required to get this to compile
on
> > > Fedora Core 4 or Fedora Core 5?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Chris Elford
> > > Intel Middleware Products Division

Division
> > > team. The
> > > archive with the contribution is uploaded to the following location:
> > >
> > > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-438
> > >
> > > The issue contains two zip archives:
> > >
> > >    DRLVM_src_20060502_1806_Harmony.zip
> > >        - The DRLVM source code contribution, containing the
following
> > > components:
> > > VM (or VM core)
> > > GC
> > > JIT
> > > Bytecode verifier
> > > Kernel classes
> > > OS layer
> > >
> > >    DRLVM_src_20060502_1806_Patches_for_Harmony.zip
> > >        - A few patches that should be applied to Harmony class
> > > libraries
> > >     in order to integrate them with DRLVM.
> > >
> > > We checked that the JRE combined from the DRLVM and the Harmony
class
> > > libraries
> > > is capable of running Eclipse and Ant. It was tested with Harmony
> > > classes taken
> > > at 03/13 (plus some contributions existed to that date, such as
> > > HARMONY-39 and
> > > HARMONY-88) on Windows and Linux IA32.
> > >
> > > The building system included with the DRLVM is entirely written on
Ant

> > > and is
> > > capable of producing a workable JRE combined from DRLVM and Harmony
> > > class libraries (we have intentionally included the compilation of
> > class
> > > libraries code into the DRLVM building system to give an example how
> > the
> > > native
> > > code for the complex multi-component project can be built with Ant).
> > > Both VM and
> > > Class Libraries can be built with MSVC or Intel C compiler on
Windows
> > > and gcc or
> > > Intel C compiler on Linux IA32. Eclipse 3.1.1 compiler is used for
> > > compiling the
> > > Java code.
> > >
> > > DRLVM communicates with the Harmony class libraries through the set
of
> > > kernel
> > > classes and VMI interface, as described in the Harmony Class Library
> > > Porting
> > > Documentation. We had to add the java.lang.SringBuffer into the
kernel
> > > classes
> > > set for now since it is tighten to the java.lang.String in our
> > > implementation.
> > >
> > > The DRLVM is not yet a complete full-functional product, there is a
> > > plenty of
> > > things to do such as 1.5 support or missing some of JVMTI/JNI
> > > capabilities.
> > > Please refer to the README.txt and Developers Guide (located in the
> > > 'doc'
> > > directory) provided with the contribution. However, we hope that the
> > > existing VM
> > > implementation, in conjunction with the Harmony class libraries and
> > > Eclipse, at
> > > least should be able to provide the self-hosting environment where
> > > developers
> > > can edit, compile and run Java code using Eclipse, execute Ant (you
> > can
> > > try
> > > to rebuild the DRLVM and Harmony class libraries by executing it's
Ant