Hi Oliver,

I think using "src/main" and "src/test" to group our implementation
and test code was a convention we agreed on a while back. Personally
I dont have any problem with it, but it's something we can look at again

The current layout is just fine with me as well, in general. I just
thought that, once a big movement over a filesystem starts, it could
be a good chance to remove a few extra levels, in case we find them
redundant. If we don't think they are redundant, then let them leave
as they are.

 modules/text/src/main/native/text/
 modules/text/src/main/native/unicode/

I think this agrees with what you were saying - please let me know if
I've misunderstood!

Actually I thought of having the BidiWrapper.c, for example, directly
under the modules/text/src/main/native dir (if  not considering
various OSes and platforms at this time:)). Since we already have a
'text' directory once in the beginning of the path, it may probably
look a bit excessive to repeat it once again at the end.

Thanks,
Andrey.

On 5/15/06, Oliver Deakin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Andrey,

Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> On 5/12/06, Oliver Deakin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

<SNIP>

>> see:

>> > W/o thinking too hard about it, this works for me just fine.
>>
>> Great - I am starting to look at how shared includes can be handled
>> across modules (as Mark alluded to in his earlier post in this thread
>> [1]), and at what changes will be required to split the natives into
>> these locations. I will be taking this in small steps, trying to get the
>> foundation and "easy" parts done first, and raising a JIRA for each step
>> rather than in one monolithic change.
>
> Great!  I think splitting the sources by modules at the top level
> directory is a good idea.
> A few questions before the big source tree reorganization starts:

> (1) Do we need to keep the 'main' directory in every module? If we
> need to have a distinction between tests and sources, may be just pull
> tests one level up and have something like:
> archive/
>        src/
>             native/
>             java/
>         tests/
>             native/
>             java/
> I wonder if 'main' is an extra level of the directory tree we can
> actually avoid of (lazy people don't like typing cd too much :))

I think using "src/main" and "src/test" to group our implementation
and test code was a convention we agreed on a while back. Personally
I dont have any problem with it, but it's something we can look at again
if people don't like it. I think that's something that would be fairly easy
to alter once the natives are modularised, should we wish to do so.

> (2) Why do we need to have 'luni' two times in the path, e.g.
> modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/ ? If we need to put an additional
> stuff like 'port' to the luni module, perhaps it could be just enough
> to put it into a subdirectory within native, e.g:
> modules/luni/src/native/port/ ?

Maybe I am missing something, but I think what you're suggesting (putting
port etc. directly under the native directory) is the same as I laid out
above -
it's quite likely that my ascii diagram of the directory layout hasnt come
across as intended, so to clarify the resulting native directories will be:

 modules/archive/src/main/native/archive/
 modules/archive/src/main/native/zip/
 modules/archive/src/main/native/zlib/

 modules/luni/src/main/native/common/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/fdlibm/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/launcher/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/pool/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/port/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/sig/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/thread/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/vmi/
 modules/luni/src/main/native/vmls/

 modules/prefs/src/main/native/prefs/

 modules/text/src/main/native/text/
 modules/text/src/main/native/unicode/

I think this agrees with what you were saying - please let me know if
I've misunderstood!

> BTW, I've noticed that this proposal is very similar to the DRLVM
> source tree organization, which is like:
> - vm
>    - include  - top level include which contains h files exported by
> various VM components;
>    - interpreter
>    - jitrino
>    - vmcore
>    <other VM components>
>
> The module vmcore, for example, contains both native and java code:
> vmcore/src/kernel_classes
>       - native
>       - javasrc
>
> The building system for DRLVM has been designed in a modular way as well:
> There is a "building engine part at the build/make and
> build/make/targets directory which is shared by all components,
> Each VM module has a building descriptor which is currently located at
> build/make/components directory, but can also be easily moved to the
> component source tree to support the idea of full independent checkout
> of a specific module.
>
> I think the building system provided with DRLVM can easily be used to
> support the source modularization approach, the proposed 'hdk' in that
> case would provide the developers, besides the "public includes", with
> the shared part of the building scripts as well.

Once the initial move of native code into the modules is completed,
any way to enhance and better modularise the build system would be
welcome! I will take a look at the DRLVM build system to see how
the independent modules are handled there.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin