I have quite different opinion here.
There problem I am working on is possible memory leak in icu4jni
library implementation, which is distributed in binary form as
dependency in classlib. It is painful to do modification to it. Its
build is not included in common build process for DRLVM, so I need to
replace the binary with modified variant, there is also no debug
symbols in the binary included in classlib, which makes imposible to
debug bundled version.

The other part of the story, is when I finaly make a small changes in
the library the entire binary should be replaced with new version.
Instead of sending all the developers around a small incremental
update people should download new version of the binary.

*When all classlib will be in binary form debugging and updating will
become nightmare.*

I think the idea of automatic downloading required packages is bad. I
would like to be able to checkout the version of all required
libraries once and update it when _I_ want to (using incremental
update to reduce network traffic)

Global build system for different modules is also bad. Looking at KDE
project - they have separate buildable modules with dependencies
between modules (no circulate ones!). DRLVM's build system is global,
but it allows to build separate component, which is positive.

I know 3 giant opensource projects KDE, Gnome and Xorg, I think we
should borrow some of their experience.

--
Ivan

2006/5/17, Vladimir Gorr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On 5/16/06, Salikh Zakirov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Vladimir Gorr wrote:
> > My personal opinion is we need to improve the existent build system for
> > DRLVM contribution.
> > Therefore there are no needs to compile them each of participants. It'd
> be
> > fine to have these sources pre-compiled (another snapshot?)
>
> The idea of having something precompiled looks close
> to idea of HDK (Harmony Development Kit): to have a
> binary bundle which makes development of Harmony as convenient as
> possible.

 Yes, my suggestion is not new idea. I my opinion the HDK is a long-term
task.
All I suggested can be made at short time. We only need to slightly modify
the build system
and to get the image of third party tools. I suppose it will significantly
make easy the life each of us
and save money eventually :-).