On 5/24/06, Mikhail Loenko wrote:

2006/5/24, Geir Magnusson Jr :
> I'd like to propose that we choose what we judge to be the best RMI
> implementation, and the best math implementation now so we can move
> forward, with the understanding that anyone interested can continue to
> work to merge the additional contributions into whatever was chosen.
+1

I suggest that as a base we take RMI from Intel as it seems to be
interoperable
with RI and take Math from ITC as it reportedly has better performance.

Hmm, I guess that 'base implementation' is implementation that locates in
modules/rmi. Right?
But I resolved HARMONY-471 5 days ago and ITC implementation is now in
modules/rmi folder. Do you suggest moving it to another folder?

Then we will aplly best ideas from counterparts implementations to the base.

I'd concentrate first on pulling out implementation-independent tests from
both contributions and creating RMI test suite that can be used to evaluate
both implementations.

Thanks,
Stepan.

Does it work for everyone?

Thanks,
Mikhail

> We then get out of the "cross patch between HARMONY-Y and HARMONY-X"
> stuff...
>
> I don't mind keeping rmi1, rmi2, rmi3, math1, math2, etc as long as we
> have "rmi" and "math" which are understood to be the ones we're moving
> with at this moment.  it's kinda confusing right now...
>
> Thoughts?
>
> geir
>

> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > Daniel,
> >
> > I've just contributed a JIRA,
> >
> >   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-471
> >
> > that integrates the ITC rmi implementation as modules/rmi.  (The jsr14
> > version.  Only the code at the moment, I creating the scripts/patches
> > for the tests next.)
> >
> > In this JIRA, I modified the build ant files to support a property,
> > 'hy.rmi.module', which defaults to 'rmi'.  I did this so that, if we
> > integrate the Intel implementationas modules/rmi-intel, developers can
> > easily build/test the different implementation just by overriding the
> > property on the ant command line.  For example:
> >
> >   ant -f make/build.xml -Dhy.rmi.module=rmi-intel
> >
> > It would be quite trivial to do the same for the math implementations
> > (and crypto I suppose).  If we were to do this, perhaps the process of
> > analysis and creation of a combined implementation could be done
within
> > the project?  In public and with more potential contributions.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Mark.
> >
> > On 17 May 2006 at 11:19, "Daniel Fridlender" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> After a discussion we had a few weeks ago in this forum on the
> >> different implementations of java.math donated to Harmony
> >> (Harmony-(39+380) and Harmony-199) we (ITC) decided to voluteer for
> >> the task of integrating them into a single implementation which would
> >> benefit from the best features of Harmony-39, 380 and 199.
> >>
> >> We will consider comparing on a method-by-method level but also on
> >> ideas level so that the new implementation will probably require
> >> re-programming good ideas from the existing implementations.  In the
> >> case of BigInteger we will also compare the benefits of the different
> >> internal representations.
> >>
> >> Right now we are analysing the two implementations.  Once we are done
> >> with this analysis we will make it public and propose a way to
proceed
> >> towards an integration.
> >>
> >> BTW, we had problems patching Harmony-380 over Harmony-39, it
attempts
> >> to erase non-existing lines.  Did we miss something?  Is there any
> >> other intermediate patch that we have missed?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Daniel Fridlender
> >> ITC

> >> For additional commands, e-mail: