Jimmy, Jing Lv wrote:
>> Alex Blewitt wrote:
>> On 26/05/06, Jimmy, Jing Lv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> I know little about Mac, though I love its appearance :) I wonder if you
>>> would write the implementation by pure java or native code. IMHO, write
>>> them in native may be a help in performance, and maybe easy to merge
>>> (And we see, RI create a excuteable pack200.exe in its jre). The code
>>> can be put in native-src\(win.IA32/share/Linux.IA32/Mac?)
>>> \archive, naming pack200.c or so.
>>
>> I'm aiming to implement it in pure Java, because one of the other
>> goals is to allow other clients (e.g. Eclipse) to be able to bundle
>> the pack/unpack code.
>>

> To tell the truth, I was interested in it and planning until something
> defers my plan. Why I planed to wrote it into native was that:
> 1. C code of such arithmetic may be faster and
> 2. Harmony may also contain a executable Pack200 as RI does.

A reasonable JIT using runtime information (profile-directed
optimizations etc) has every chance to out class a static C compiler.
Unless you envisage the need for lots of JNI crossings I suggest you
write it in Java.

In addition, there is nothing to stop us creating a command-line version
of the Java application.  There are a number of options for that too.

--

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.