I can agree that libraries like java.util and java.math probably will
not need any logging on the production stage. But some parts of the
classlib look more like applications rather than libraries. Providers
can be the good example. And logging for such apps can be considered
as part of UI. Let's say UI for advanced users. Such app will lost its
usefulness if logging is completely removed.

A lot of applications use logging. All enterprise servers extensively
use logging in spite of the fact that performance is very important
for j2ee.

2006/5/30, Gregory Shimansky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Tuesday 30 May 2006 22:59 Tim Ellison wrote:
> >> The logging info being proposed is developer-oriented.  I hope that
> >> people are not expecting our users to understand our developer trace
> >> info -- we, as developers, have better tools than printf to figure out
> >> what is happening.
> >
> > I have to admit that I don't agree w/ "better" as a universally general
> > statement,
>
> Well I guess it is a POV, but give me a java-aware debugger and trace
> tools over printf any day.

Hello Tim

I don't want to start any flame, but want to show an example of an application
(yes it is not a class library, just a big java application) which has a lot
of logging hardcoded into it. It is Eclipse :)

Maybe java-aware debugger didn't help eclipse developers all the time as much
as tracing did.

Alexei Zakharov,
Intel Middleware Product Division