Erik Axel Nielsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure if I should post this under testing, but here goes.
>
> Next spring I will be TA/organizer of "Object oriented programming" at
> my university. This course is followed by approximately 500 students. To
> make this course a little more interesting for the students the last
> assignment involves making a game. The students do this in groups making
> ~100 different games. If anyone wants to see the games for this year go
> to [1]. The page is in Norwegian but it should be possible to understand
> enough to download the jars anyway. The quality varies a LOT but 207,
> 109 and 804 are good at least.
>
> Anyway, what I wanted to say is that being students, and being 500 they
> cover a big part of Swing/Java 2D and even Java 3D. Especially they use
> things the way it wasn't meant to be used. As long as it works it's OK
> with them. If Harmony has managed to make an easy download that they can
> try their game on I think it would be a nice way to check how compliant
> Harmony is with RI.

By next spring?  I'm hoping to have this download by next *week* (ok,
two weeks...)

We'll definitely have this for them.  I'm hoping by next spring, we'll
be far enough along you can ask your students to just *do* their project
on Harmony :)

> This is not testing per se, but more like a good
> quality check I think.  With a little bit of cooperation with the
> professors it could even be an optional part of the assignment.
>
> Anyone with thoughts about this?

I think this is great, as this is what we want to do - drive people to
test their programs on Harmony, because I think this is an excellent and
necessary addition to the formal project testing and TCK testing
activities...

BTW, what license are these programs under?  I'd like to have a few
graphical demos in our JDK just like Sun does :) and it would be cool to
use some of these if those students are interested in contributing them,
are able to contributing them and even interested in participating here...