This post reminded me about that some times ago was a little discussion
about 'application testing' and that it will be good to define list of
application that should run over harmony to check implemented functionality
and define more critical areas to implement and bugs to fix.

May be it is a time to define this set to set up some goal - without dates,
but in terms of enabled applications for people to start trying enabling
*these certain* well-known applications on HY?

I would propose to start with Geronimo.

Thanks,

 Vladimir

On 6/2/06, Mark Hindess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2 June 2006 at 5:32, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Erik Axel Nielsen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Not sure if I should post this under testing, but here goes.
> >
> > Next spring I will be TA/organizer of "Object oriented programming" at

> > my university. This course is followed by approximately 500 students.
> > make this course a little more interesting for the students the last
> > assignment involves making a game. The students do this in groups
making
> > ~100 different games. If anyone wants to see the games for this year
go
> > to [1]. The page is in Norwegian but it should be possible to
understand
> > enough to download the jars anyway. The quality varies a LOT but 207,
> > 109 and 804 are good at least.
> >
> > Anyway, what I wanted to say is that being students, and being 500
they
> > cover a big part of Swing/Java 2D and even Java 3D. Especially they
use
> > things the way it wasn't meant to be used. As long as it works it's OK
> > with them. If Harmony has managed to make an easy download that they
can
> > try their game on I think it would be a nice way to check how
compliant
> > Harmony is with RI.
>
> By next spring?  I'm hoping to have this download by next *week* (ok,
> two weeks...)
>
> We'll definitely have this for them.  I'm hoping by next spring, we'll
> be far enough along you can ask your students to just *do* their project
> on Harmony :)
>
> > This is not testing per se, but more like a good
> > quality check I think.  With a little bit of cooperation with the
> > professors it could even be an optional part of the assignment.
> >
> > Anyone with thoughts about this?
>
> I think this is great, as this is what we want to do - drive people to
> test their programs on Harmony, because I think this is an excellent and
> necessary addition to the formal project testing and TCK testing
> activities...
>
> BTW, what license are these programs under?  I'd like to have a few
> graphical demos in our JDK just like Sun does :) and it would be cool to
> use some of these if those students are interested in contributing them,
> are able to contributing them and even interested in participating
here...

Well, some of them seem to contain images/sounds that might not be
original works of the game authors.

But it's an interesting thought.  We should probably wait until we have
javax.sound?  Since most of the games fail because of these missing
packages.  The others I tried failed with:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Method is not implemented
       at java.awt.Window.createBufferStrategy(Window.java:266)

and:

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError : java/lang/System.nanoTime()J

However, a little further down the line perhaps we should have a
competition with the best games becoming the official demos for Harmony?

Regards,
Mark - enjoying having an excuse to play a few games