Thanks to all for the suggestions... this is the first weekend I found where
I could spend some time on Harmony.

The error was because I did not have 'make' installed on my system (Ubuntu
on linux). The documentation talks about 'nmake' for windows, so probably it
is a good idea to include 'make' as one of the required s/w for linux...
(gcc also does not come with make)

Hooray -  I completed a successful build - it took 3 min 45 seconds.

Thanks,
Anoop

On 5/30/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Anoop kumar V wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a n00b wanting to contribute to Harmony.

We're all newbies at some point, so don't worry about that :)

> All  I have done so far (code-wise) is checkout the harmony code
(revision
> 410710) from svn and run ant from ~/Harmony/make folder.
>
> But I am running into errors:
> I am using GCJ on Ubuntu5.10.

There's your problem, I suspect, as I don't think anyone has tried using
GCJ.

[SNIP]

> Can someone please point me what is the obvious-wrong I am doing?
> Should I use Sun / Bea java for the build? And can I do development for
> Harmony using some IDE like IntelliJ IDEA? And Should I not run the
default
> ant target if I am just going to do java work?

While you should be able to self-host now using the J9 evaluation VM
from IBM, others have noted it might be easier if you just go get the
distro from Sun or BEA and start with that while you come up to speed.

Yes, you can use IntelliJ - everyone can use the tools that are best for
them, and the project will remain IDE neutral. :)

As for the default ant target, you should run that to build the native
libraries.  We've been talking about making a development kit available
that has those precompiled, but I think it's worth your while getting it
to build from top to bottom at least once.

Welcome, and thanks for volunteering :)