http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Apache_Commons
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary

Good pages, thank you!

Do we have an idea what we are doing with the results? – I mean, to make
sure people

know the list of unimplemented API required to run Apache Commons and start
with

implementation of this API (if someone wants to write API, but does not know
what to start with).

Initially I decided what packages to look at by finding the packages
(in Debian) that the most other packages depended on.  So many of
them were Apache Commons packages that I then decided to start with
those.  If no one beats me to it, I'll be going back to the debian
most-depended-upon-packages list when I finish the Commons packages.

This is good approach and I can't imagine why not. Another approach is – I

tried every Apache Java project in Google to see how many references are
found.

Here are results:

Apache Directory project  19 200 000

Apache Jakarta 17 400 000

Apache Ant 10 700 000

Apache Cocoon 5 750 000

Apache FOP 2 610 000

Apache Derby 2 030 000

Apache Forrest 1 900 000

Apache Maven 1 370 000

Apache ECS 1 320 000

Apache Batik 937 000

Apache Beehive 639 000

Apache Jackrabbit 356 000

Apache Hadoop 85 000

….

So, Jakarta Commons looks like a good choice J

Incidentally if anyone wants to investigate any of the Commons packages
perhaps you could mark up the wiki page to say you are looking at it.
(I will do the same.)

OK.

First, I want to complete investigations with Harmony unit tests coverage

(and list of classes to exclude from Emma instrumentation), then, will get

back to the page.

Thanks,

  Vladimir

On 6/2/06, Mark Hindess <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

On 2 June 2006 at 19:54, "Vladimir Ivanov" < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
wrote:

> This post reminded me about that some times ago was a little discussion
> about 'application testing' and that it will be good to define list of
> application that should run over harmony to check implemented
functionality
> and define more critical areas to implement and bugs to fix.
>
> May be it is a time to define this set to set up some goal - without
dates,
> but in terms of enabled applications for people to start trying enabling

> *these certain* well-known applications on HY?

Funny you should mention this.  I've just added an entry to the wiki
about testing I've done on some of the Apache Commons projects:

http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Apache_Commons

Initially I decided what packages to look at by finding the packages
(in Debian) that the most other packages depended on.  So many of
them were Apache Commons packages that I then decided to start with
those.  If no one beats me to it, I'll be going back to the debian
most-depended-upon-packages list when I finish the Commons packages.

Incidentally if anyone wants to investigate any of the Commons packages
perhaps you could mark up the wiki page to say you are looking at it.
(I will do the same.)

> I would propose to start with Geronimo.

Someone looked at this a while ago I think[0], there is a link from:

http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary

My experience with the Apache Commons projects (and the extensive tests
they provide) is that this is a very good way to find real bugs that
will affect real applications.  (And it's often easier to track them
down in simple(r) test case than in real applications.)

Regards,
Mark.

[0] Amusingly after writing this I checked and it turns out that someone
   was me! ;-)

> On 6/2/06, Mark Hindess < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > making
> > go
> > understand

> > they
> > use
> > can
> > compliant
> > >
> > > By next spring?  I'm hoping to have this download by next *week*
(ok,
> > > two weeks...)
> > >
> > > We'll definitely have this for them.  I'm hoping by next spring,
we'll
> > > be far enough along you can ask your students to just *do* their
project
> > > on Harmony :)

> > > I think this is great, as this is what we want to do - drive people
> > > test their programs on Harmony, because I think this is an excellent
and
> > > necessary addition to the formal project testing and TCK testing
> > > activities...
> > >
> > > BTW, what license are these programs under?  I'd like to have a few
> > > graphical demos in our JDK just like Sun does :) and it would be
cool to
> > > use some of these if those students are interested in contributing
them,
> > > are able to contributing them and even interested in participating
> > here...
> >
> > Well, some of them seem to contain images/sounds that might not be
> > original works of the game authors.
> >
> > But it's an interesting thought.  We should probably wait until we
have
> > javax.sound?  Since most of the games fail because of these missing
> > packages.  The others I tried failed with:
> >
> > java.lang.RuntimeException: Method is not implemented
> >        at java.awt.Window.createBufferStrategy(Window.java:266)
> >
> > and:
> >
> > Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError : java/lang/System.nanoTime()J
> >
> > However, a little further down the line perhaps we should have a
> > competition with the best games becoming the official demos for
Harmony?