It seems we're in general agreement that getting DRLVM to deal with Java
5 classfiles is a good place to start.

It supports our project desire to get off the target=jsr14 hack for
compiling.

So, for those that know the DRLVM codebase, what are the steps?

Anyone who throws the One Big Patch over the wall will be summarily
beaten about the head and neck with a trout, by the way, and we may not
defrost the trout first... lets use this as an exercise to start
learning about the DRLVM and get people talking about how to do these
things together, with small patches once we agree on the strategy :)