IIRC Geir was going to ask Sun if we are allowed to copy their
exception messages

Thanks,
Mikhail

2006/7/5, Richard Liang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Richard Liang wrote:
>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>>> This idea scares me.  I think people do depend on toString() when
>>> writing apps, and tend to shove that kind of thing to log files and such
>>> on server apps.  To have our outptut different from Sun's, BEA's, IBM's,
>>> Apple's seens like we're asking for trouble.
>>>

>> Hello Geir,
>>
>> IMHO, as long as the method does not give confusing message to
>> developers, we are not required to have the same behavior. You may want
>> to refer to the spec of java.lang.Object.toString:
>> In general, the toString method returns a string that "textually
>> represents" this object. The result should be a concise but informative
>> representation that is easy for **a person to read**.
>>

> Sure, but that doesn't mean that it would be reasonable to randomly
> change the output of a given Class's toString() as long as it would be
> easy for a person to read :)
>
> I know that's not what you are advocating, and I certainly agree that no
> one should depend on toString() output like that, but I also know that
> in production systems *I* have done it, and I'm sure others have as well.
>

>> And there are some cases that we even cannot follow RI.
>> e.g.,
>> URLConnection conn = new URL("http://www.apache.org";).openConnection();
>> System.out.println(conn.toString());
>>
>> The code above will print
>> "sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection:http://www.apache.org";
>>
>> Any comments? Thanks a lot.
>>

> Well, we could actually print that if that was our impl of URLConnection
> for HTTP, but still, I think
>
> "org.apache.harmony.whatever.HttpURLConnection:http://www.apache.org";
>
> would be more reasonable than
>
> "Implementing Class : org.apache.harmony.whatever.HttpURLConnection,
> Target URI : http://www.apache.org";
>
> or something like that, even thought the second is perfectly good.
>
> All I'm saying is that unless the output from the RI's toString() is
> particularly brain-dead, it doesn't seem to be too much of a bother to
> be similar.

Agree. And in fact, it's easier to have the same output as RI's if we
are allowed. :-) Could we think this rule also apply to the message when
an exception is thrown?

Any comments? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Richard