Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> On Thursday 06 July 2006 03:46 Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> In HARMONY-681, I applied the patch to build DRLVM as debug by default,
>> but 'rejected' the classlib patch, as it's not overridable as the DRLVM
>> one is.
>>
>> I think that we'd like to be able to set a flag for release build,
>> rather than have to rummage about in each makefile and include.
>>
>> Yea? Nea?
>
> +1 for release flag when it is needed
>
> I support this as I also think that current classlib build system is rather
> primitive

Don't mistake being simple with being primitive <g>.  It will need to
grow as we expand the amount of platform-dependent code, but I suggest
we try to keep things as simple as possible.

> which is easy to alter by developers locally but isn't really meant
> to be a product build system.

What do you mean?

> But the default I am sure should be debug everywhere, VM, classlib, tools
> until Harmony leaves the incubation state.

I don't think it is tied to project incubation, but I agree that we need
a switch that allows debug/release compilation.  And if it is debug by
default that is fine too.

> This is what my patch did (if I
> didn't miss some places in classlib makefiles).
>
> Add release switch later when it is needed. Now... is it important to have
> it?
> Is it necessary to build classlib even with -mpentium3? I don't think so.

That's a different topic -- we should decide which architectures are
'officially' supported.

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.