Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> On Thursday 06 July 2006 20:20 Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Gregory Shimansky wrote:

>>> +1 for release flag when it is needed
>>>
>>> I support this as I also think that current classlib build system is
>>> rather primitive
>
> Btw no offense intended I meant only native part of the build system. Java
> part is fine to me.
>
> I think I didn't understand the original question well enough. Sure I think
> it
> would be good to have more than one mode to build native sources.
>
>> Don't mistake being simple with being primitive <g>.  It will need to
>> grow as we expand the amount of platform-dependent code, but I suggest
>> we try to keep things as simple as possible.
>>
>>> which is easy to alter by developers locally but isn't really meant
>>> to be a product build system.
>> What do you mean?
>
> (I'll try to answer both your and Geir's question here)
>
> The build system for native code is really simple and has most things like
> even debug on/off mode hardcoded in the flags. It has just one fixed set of
> flags which don't include debug by default. If any change is required,
> makefiles have to be changed and I am sure I am not alone who altered them
> locally to produce debug version. I think we'll come to some sort of
> configure script but maybe not, it should be discussed separately.

Right - the argument we're making is that we don't want to have the same
problem in reverse via the debug settings.

We want to just do this right and have a settable property somewhere,
and yes, debug as default is fine.

> I agree that we need to improve it and add more flexible control over what it
> can produce, debug/release, different architectures, optimizations, maybe
> compilers. But discussing on the direction which this process should take
> (e.g. we may agree to add a configure script) may take a long time while a
> simple change to enable debugging by default doesn't since it seems most of
> the people agree that it is right thing to do.

But we don't.  we agree it's a good default, but a little extra work
will just do it via a user-specified property.  Patch welcome :)