On 7 July 2006 at 2:25, "Ivan Volosyuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > The drlvm build already has ant property called "build.cfg" and
> > > "build.cxx" for the debug or release build and the compiler
> > > name. The properties is initialized from BUILD_CFG and CXX
> > > environment variables. IMHO, it will be convenient to have the
> > > same property for drlvm and classlib build. Is it ok to have
> > > _this_ property names? I don't think the word 'native' in property
> > > make sense as this switch can be used somehow even in java build
> > > (?) eventually.
> >
> > The names are not important, they could be changed in drlvm build
> > as well if we find those that most of us like. I think word native
> > is ok or there may be a confusion that the same rule applies to
> > java sources (this of course depends on what hy.native.cfg, be
> > it compilation flags, then it should not apply to java, or just
> > debug/release, then it is ok for java).
>
> Well, I will stick to corresponding names from drlvm then. Somebody
> who will commit the changes can rename both of them if needed.

Not sure how this follows from what Gregory wrote.

I still think (as Gregory suggested above) if it only affects native
code it should include the word native.  Or are you going to modify how
the corresponding hy.javac.debug flags is derived?

Personally, I think the hy.native.cfg variable is more in keeping with
the existing variables - e.g. hy.javac.*.  If we decide to modify the
way hy.javac.debug is setup then perhaps we could use something without
native in the name but I think that is out of scope of the current
change.

> > > I would also like to have CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to be used in the
> > > defines.mak. People can set corresponding environment variables
> > > for extra compiler switches they want.

This seems like a separate issue.

> > I think that #4 covers this.

> > > Could you reformulate this, I think I not quite catch the idea.
> >
> > This is something that I was thinking about, separate groups of
> > flags for debug info control, optimization flags, warning level and
> > just user additional flags (which should probably go the last to
> > take the precedence).
> >
> > (hopefully I clarified this paragraph correctly for Ivan from how I
> > understood it myself)

Yes.  Gregory's interpretation was accurate.

> I will do that as I understood :)

Great, but please use variable names in keeping with what is in classlib
already unless you want to have the discussion about renaming all of the
classlib variables.  Personally I'd leave that issue to another day. ;-)

Regards,
 Mark.