Andrew,

The AsyncCloseException is actually thrown by AbstractInterruptibleChannel.end(), so probably you actually want to test is if DatagramChannel.read() invokes begin()/end() as below:

try{
   begin();
   complete = doSomeIO();
}finally{
   end(complete);
}

To test this, you may want to inject some synchronization/check point into this procedure: 1. Extend DatagramChannel and override begin()/end(), but because begin()/end() are final, so this way doesn't work 2. Inject something into certain part of doSomeIO(), but this makes the tests implementation dependent if no SPI methods defined.

So if you have strong feeling to test this, you may consider the option 2, and check if there is some "injection point" you can leverage, for example, mock a INetworkSystem and inject it into DatagramChannel or so.

Andrew Zhang wrote:
Hello Tim,

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Of course, "fix" is the best choice. I also have tried to use "wait/notify",
but found it didn't work for this case.

Please note that "channel1.read(targetBuf); // Label 3" is a blocking
operation. And we want code at label 1,2 to execute after label 3.

There is the question:

Where should I put "notify"?

1. before "read"? NO. If nofity is put before read, then we still can't
guarantee "configureBlocking" is executed after read.
2. after "read"? NO. read is a blocking operatoin. It will never be executed
if put notify after read.
3. in "read"?  Obviously NO.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

On 7/11/06, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andrew Zhang wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I noticed such tests in DatagramChannel, which is useful, but
potentially
> unstable.  Consider:
>
> public void testReadWrite_configureBlock() throws Exception {
>        byte[] targetArray = new byte[2];
>        // bind and connect
>        this.channel1.socket().bind(localAddr2);
>        this.channel1.connect(localAddr1);
>        this.channel2.socket().bind(localAddr1);
>        this.channel2.connect(localAddr2);
>        ByteBuffer targetBuf = ByteBuffer.wrap(targetArray);
>
>        new Thread() {
>            public void run() {
>                try {
>                    Thread.sleep(TIME_UNIT);
>                    channel1.configureBlocking(false); // Label 1
>                    channel1.close(); // Label 2
>                } catch (Exception e) {
>                    //ignore
>                }
>            }
>        }.start();
>        try {
>            this.channel1.read(targetBuf); // Label 3
>            fail("should throw AsynchronousCloseException");
>        } catch (AsynchronousCloseException e) {
>            // ok
>        }
>    }
> This test assumes Label 3 code should execute before Label 1 and Label
2,
> which is right in most cases, because the code invokes "Thread.sleep
> (TIME_UNIT)".
>
> However, it's potentially unstable. It heavily depends on TIME_UNIT
value,
> test environment (Hardware, OS ...)

Urgh.  There are *very* few occasions when you need to use
Thread.sleep(); and 'thread synchronization' is definitely not one of
them!

If you have order dependencies between two or more threads then use
wait/notify, or synchronized, and make them explicit.

There are any number of books on multi-threaded programming in Java.

> Indubitably, the test is very useful for testing
> "AsynchronousCloseException" of DatagramChannel.read(ByteBuffer) method.
>
> How shall we deal with such issue? Deleting such valuable tests is not
> wise decision, while keeping them may cause build system fail.
>
> One solution I could image is TestNG. :) i.e. Use "@dev" or something to
> mark such tests, say, the tests are only for developing purpose.
>
> Any suggestions?

Fix it!  :-)

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.