The way to do this in Eclipse is to select the code that you want to see a
return value for and invoke the "inspect" functions. This will cause the
code to be execute and the result is displayed in a pop-up, which you can
inspect. Although the code executes, it does not move the current line of
code, so you can execute the line again when you hit step. Additionally, you
can open the "Display" view while in the debugger and execute any arbitrary
code that would be valid at the currently paused line, which allows you to
copy any bit of code in the editor to this view and then execute it and play
with the results.

Check out this bit of the help file for more information:
http://help.eclipse.org/help32/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/tasks/task-eva
luating_expressions.htm

-Nathan