Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I'll state the obvious... there is another thread going on about how do
> to similar things with Classlib.  Maybe you can find common ground for
> message bundles and such...
>
> geir

1. The launcher already packages some translations in property-format,
it makes me believe that launcher localization was once completed at IBM.
Though I wasn't able to find anything about localization in launcher sources.

Tim, Mark, could you provide more information about localization already
implemented
in classlib natives?

2. As far as I can see, the only common thing that natives l10n can have with
java l10n
is translation files. Generally, this is a good goal, as it would make the
translators job
more straightforward, keeping the number of formats and message systems at
minimum.

3. I personally consider the property-based design of l10n in Java inferior,
because it requires the keys to be property-name-compatible (e.g. no spaces),
and
it often results in developers choosing to introduce short localization key
names
bearing no meaning. For example, see the harmony_*.properties in classlib:
   EXEL051=...
Should the localization system fail, the only thing that user will get is
"EXEL051".
The developers reading the code which prints localizable message, has no clue
too.
To find out the value of message, one needs to consult default localization
file.
Furthermore, when introducing new localizable message, one needs to edit 3(!)
different places:
add the message code, add the key, and add the printable message to default
localization file.
This particular design choice is ineffective in using developers' time, is less
robust
and less maintainable.

And if the key names are used in construction of unlocalized messages, then it
introduces
runtime cost of mangling the unlocalized message to some
property-name-compatible form.