Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> I'll state the obvious... there is another thread going on about how do
>> to similar things with Classlib.  Maybe you can find common ground for
>> message bundles and such...
>>
>> geir
>
> 1. The launcher already packages some translations in property-format,
> it makes me believe that launcher localization was once completed at IBM.
> Though I wasn't able to find anything about localization in launcher sources.

Who cares what was once completed at IBM?  They had their reasons, their
uses... This is Apache Harmony :)  We can do what we feel is best
(including keeping what was donated...)

> Tim, Mark, could you provide more information about localization already
> implemented
> in classlib natives?
>
> 2. As far as I can see, the only common thing that natives l10n can have with
> java l10n
> is translation files. Generally, this is a good goal, as it would make the
> translators job
> more straightforward, keeping the number of formats and message systems at
> minimum.

+1

> 3. I personally consider the property-based design of l10n in Java inferior,
> because it requires the keys to be property-name-compatible (e.g. no spaces),
> and
> it often results in developers choosing to introduce short localization key
> names
> bearing no meaning. For example, see the harmony_*.properties in classlib:
>    EXEL051=...
> Should the localization system fail, the only thing that user will get is
> "EXEL051".

Don't we have far bigger problems if the localization system in the JVM
fails?

> The developers reading the code which prints localizable message, has no clue
> too.
> To find out the value of message, one needs to consult default localization
> file.
> Furthermore, when introducing new localizable message, one needs to edit 3(!)
> different places:
> add the message code, add the key, and add the printable message to default
> localization file.
> This particular design choice is ineffective in using developers' time, is
> less robust
> and less maintainable.
>
> And if the key names are used in construction of unlocalized messages, then
> it introduces
> runtime cost of mangling the unlocalized message to some
> property-name-compatible form.

I understand what you are saying, and certainly agree that if we can
find some way to use meaningful keys, so much the better.  I guess the
question is what does that cost us, versus the likelyhood that the
localization system will fail...