Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> +1 for property files.
>> The one of the main benefits for me is the possibility to define all
>> the needed properties just once. But not execute a huge number of "set
>> SMTH" and "set ANOTHERTHING" each time I open a new window or reboot
>> my machine.
>>
>> That's why it is better to get proxy info from property file instead
>> of setting ANT_OPTS variable :)
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-523
>
> It looks like the issue boils down to difference in habits.
> The "java types" prefer property files, because it saves them
> from working with "incomprehensible" environment variables and so on.

Please.  They are not "incomprehensible".  They are not portable, nor
generally repeatable or visible as a reusable artifact.

I've been a "C type" for about twice as long as I've been a "Java type",
and I'll point out that we "C type" people also prefer things in files,
ex makefiles and scripts.

> But then, I am "unix type", and having correctly defined environment
> is essential to me. I just keep my .profile file up-to-date,
> and don't care about setting it in a new window. It gets configured
> automatically.

How do you do "A/B" test for different configurations?  Different
logins?  Maybe reboot to another OS partition?

> And I hate property files, because they cannot be
> configured in one central place, and I have to keep copying them
> over and over, and quickly get lost in a multitude of unsynchronized copies.

I'm sorry - I don't get it.  Property files can *certainly* be
configured in one central place, and there is no reason to copy over and
over.  As for unsynchronized copies, I think that comes down to work
habit...

> Just another case of "computing" cultural differences.

I don't think so.  I've been a unix user and C programmer since the mid
1980's, and this has nothing to do w/ unix.