IMHO, throwing a subclass certainly fits to specification and can
hardly break compatibility with RI. I consider this is the proper
workaround for now.
Just my $0.02 :)

--
Alexey Varlamov

In this case, I guess if we set the cause to null when catching the
SocketException will properly solve the problem. However it seems
difficult as Throwable.initCause() can be called only once.

If throwing a subclass may also break compatibility guideline, I still
suggest return value, though it may break the current
infrastructure(currently, all errors throw exception), it is still easy
to deal with, only some of operation, read/write, require a little
change, and we no longer need "try...catch" in Java code

BTW, I find the code shall also deal with InterruptIOException.