I don't think that it makes sense to maintain a completely separate
data structure just because there's a pair of keys. An object that
holds two values will do the job just as well, and there should be no
problem with an object being created, used for a lookup, and then
recycled in the nursery generation. On the other hand, having a
separate algorithm is more likely to result in duplicated information
and maintenance.

This sounds like premature optimisation to me. After all, how many
lookups are being performed in the crypto framework? If it's just a
pairing of (say) provider/hash algorithm, how frequently is it being
used? Do we have any stats that show the bottleneck is on the access
of a value from the hashmap?

Alex.