Hi,

Is there any known real applications that use NIO for reading stuff
with 4GB blocks?

Regards,

2006/7/25, Leo Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
2006/7/25, Jimmy, Jing Lv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi:
>
>     I find another platform-dependent operation
> FileChannel.transforFrom(ReadableByteChannel src, long position, long
> count) in java.nio.channels. RI behaves differently if the given count
> is larger than Integer.MAX_VALUE: on windows, it throws an IOException;
> on Linux, it return zero silently. It is clear that the difference is
> caused by system call. Unfortunately Harmony fails to behave like RI as
> its has the same native code using the port-lib.
>     If it is necessary to make Harmony behaving exactly like RI, I
> suggest writing native code for transforFrom. This may be a
> waste-of-effect as it is nearly the same except for this little
> difference.However, currently people have few chances to use a size
> larger than Integer.MAX_VALUE(nearly 4G, is it?), and system call does
> not support long value to pass in.
>
>     Another thing I'd like to mention is that it'll be great if we can
> use testNG, or decide some other way to go. At least 2 testcases should
> be written for different platform as I remember, including the one for
> this problem. :)
>
> --
>
> Best Regards!
>
> Jimmy, Jing Lv
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

> Dear Jimmy:
       As spec is not clear about how to deal with the argument greater
than Integer.MAX_VALUE, maybe we shall look more closely at what RI does and
how the system call behaves.
        I think it will be a good idea to let native code or even system
call itself treat with such affairs, provided that Harmony will support some
64-bit  platforms one day. Thus it may be not so wise to throw some
exception in java code if encountering the data longer than 32-bits.
       Besides, whether we should behaves the same as RI, even if it is
different on different platforms? :)

--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM