Hi Ilya,

 I'd like to notice that all template files are stored in the
msgstool.jarfile that is the result of ant build. For this reason this
tool will work
only if msgstool.jar file is in the user dir. I have to extract resources
from the jar file (open jar file) and don't know how to do this if jar file
is mentioned in the classpath and isn't located in the user dir. It would be
great if someone knew how to deal with this issue...

I've looked into your code. You may probably benefit from using
MsgClassGenerator.class.getClassLoader().getResourceAsStream(...).
Have you tried this?

Regards,

2006/8/2, Ilya Okomin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On 7/27/06, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ilya Okomin wrote:
> > I share your point of view about Exceptions without description, it
> > isn't user friendly. But I think it will be another sort of 'manual'
> > scan :) There is a need to waste time to analyze surrounding code to
> > provide appropriate message, a bit another sort of work, isn't it? I
> > think the best way would be if all these Exceptions without info are
> > being identified before externalization process is to be ran. For
> > today I'd better postpone the task of initialization 'empty'
> > exceptions until the externalization is finished.
>
> Sure, I agree that it is a different problem, so have no problem dealing
> with it separately.
>
> > I've implemented a small tool that generates Message source and
> > MsgHelp source into a desired module. Tool gets a list of modules
> > names from property file (you can specify modules class sources to
> > generate for), then we run over the list and special word '<module>'
> > in Message and MsgHelp source templates files replaced with the
> > specified module name.
>
> Cool.  You may find it easy to do this using Ant's replace task [1].
>
> [1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/replace.html
>
> > Resulting sources are copied to the o/a/h/<module>/internal/
> > directory. At first I planned to use MsgHelp class from luni but
> > after a while I've decided to avoid dependency on luni module and
> > included generation source file of this class to every module.
>
> I agree, if you are going to do the template then you might as well
> duplicate the MsgHelp behavior across the modules.  In fact, don't feel
> obliged to maintain the separation of Message and MsgHelp, you may find
> that it makes sense to combine them now.  Your choice.
>
> > Thus Message or MsgHelp source files can be easy regenerated for a
> > desired set of modules, if anything is changed there. I plan to add
> > creation of a new empty messages.properties files with copyright
> > heading if it is absent for the module.
>
> Extra credit for that ;-)
>
> > Also I think that it make sense to changle location to
> > o/a/h/<module>/internal/nls.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Will provide patch with this tool when these changes are to be
> > implemented and checked.
>
> I'll look forward to seeing it.  Thanks Ilya!

Several times I was trying to make a post with attached zip-file with the
tool, but unfortunately this letter was rejected as it is spam!!:( I wonder
why?!

Nevertheless, I've created a jira issue [1] with suggested implementation of
the tool for generation classes to support internationalization.

 I'd like to notice that all template files are stored in the
msgstool.jarfile that is the result of ant build. For this reason this
tool will work
only if msgstool.jar file is in the user dir. I have to extract resources
from the jar file (open jar file) and don't know how to do this if jar file
is mentioned in the classpath and isn't located in the user dir. It would be
great if someone knew how to deal with this issue...

Tim, could you look into this tool, is it what we need?
If it's ok, I would start with messages externalization task for modules.

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1041

BR,
Ilya.

> Regards,