Geir,
Let me double-check what exactly you are proposing:

> I wonder if it's time we pull that stuff out of classlib/ and move to
> the site itself...

Do you mean that we do the following:
1) Move the ASN1 and REGEXP docs out of docs/externals to
xdocs/subcomponents/classlib by converting them to XML?
2) Move the html docs packaged with classlib donations (JNDI DNS, AWT,
JAVA2D) to the same directory with conversion involved?

I'd also recommend that we do the same for stable VM docs, like DevGuide
and Getting Started.

Now, the idea of integrating the docs into the site is just fine with
me.

However, the docs are very HTML-driven now, so you can't just cut&paste
the HTML content with a couple of manual replacements and have a valid
XML. There're over 15 styles that cannot map to standard XML tags. We'll
have to think of some content model and a DTD for those, probably. And
still this will mean a lot of work.
So I was wondering whether it is worth the effort? What will the major
benefits of conversion be? Couldn't we just have the docs statically in
HTML? At least for now?

Best regards,
Nadya Morozova,