Anton Rusanov wrote:
> I saw that javac is ready now at
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/roadmap.html#General but I cannot
> find the javac.exe it in deploy/jdk/jre/bin.

There is a minor piece of work left in the launcher to support the tools
being run from jdk/bin, namely to pick up the right tools.jar and
supporting jars locations, and load the VM from jre/bin/*.

This was left as low-hanging fruit for somebody with C programming
skills who wants to get involved in Harmony, but if there are no takers...

> I have also been referred to the thread
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/<[EMAIL
>  PROTECTED]>
>
> where Tim said how to make an executable of javac.

That is the current state, with the steps to show it works before the
final fixes.

> Since that time we
> have tools.jar being built in common build. But this seems strange for
> me, that while the functionality of the tool is ready, everyone who
> wants to use it has to copy tools.jar from one place to another and to
> make the executable oneself.

It won't stay that way.

> Or maybe there is already a mechanism to build executables using a
> special target?
> If not, how do you think what should be better - build all tools'
> executables together or to add an individual target for each tool?
> Should the executables generation be added to the common build or it
> is better to be done optionally?

I suggest that all the tools are built together.  The launcher is
written to run different Java tools by copying the executable into the
jdk/bin under different names.

Regards
Tim

--