Alex Blewitt wrote:
I think that as long as the spec says throws java.x.Y, and we throw a
java.x.Y (or an o.a.h subclass of java.x.Y) then that meets the spec.

Yes. That really complies with the spec. But for Harmony, Complying with spec is not enough. What we are aiming is that user applications would not be broken if they transfer from RI to Harmony. IMHO, we shall try our best to *comply* with RI. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks a lot.

I think the wording could be clearer though; for example, the 'public
superclass' is almost certainly meant to be 'an exception in the
standard Java class libraries'. For a start,
sun.io.MalformedInputException might actually be a subclass of
sun.io.GeneralInputException, which has the ACC_PUBLIC bit set (even
though it's not a defined class in the Java spec).

Yes, this description is really confusing. (That's why I post it on wiki page for comments ;-) )

And....
Perhaps "If the exception thrown is a direct instance of an exception
from the Java libraries, we will throw the same exception; if it is an
instance of an exception not in the Java libraries then we will throw
an equivalent o.a.h exception or a parent exception in the Java
libraries". It's possible that there's an exception class which is
abstract that we must create a subclass for, though off the top of my
head I can't think of an abstract exception class in the Java
libraries ...
Your suggestion sounds better. Thanks a lot, Alex

Best regards,
Richard

Alex.