On Sunday 20 August 2006 12:27, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2006, at 09:54, Chris Gray wrote:
> > +1 to Stefano Mazzocchi:
>
> Noted, thanks.  (and edited so I am making fair use of your
> copyrighted material - I don't want to get sued...)

My cat can be vicious. :-)

> >  The specs should be
> > licensed in a way that is compatible with the requirements of
> > standards
> > bodies such as ISO, ANSI, ECMA, even if Sun doesn't intend to head
> > that way
> > just yet.
>
> Keep in mind that Sun doesn't get to decide this any more, it's up to
> the JCP, and there are plenty of voices other than Sun who would
> likely oppose this. While I sympathise, open sourcing Sun's Java
> implementations has nothing to do with the JCP and is made possible
> by the JCPA 2.5 and later.

True, but quite often the spec lead is from Sun, e.g. for 218/219 (JavaME CDC/
FP). In such cases, if the Exec Comittee agrees Sun can set an example by
licensing the specs in a way which would not preclude them being adopted as a
standard by ISO & co.

BTW the comments made by EC members wrt JSR 218 seem to indicate that there is
quite widespread support for a more open approach[1].

Best regards,

Chris

[1] <http://jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=1991>.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             +32 3 216 0369