Looks like a matter of relations, how the classlib and VM relates to each other.

Either VM and classlib independant, then we need something to be
common base for them - portlib. If VM links with classlib, then no
more need for portlib, just well understood interfaces provided by
classlib's HDK. If classlib links with VM, then it is the VM who
should provide this interfaces :)

--
Ivan