From Ivan's hints in HARMONY-1561 I created a simple example that illustrates the bug. Attached to the JIRA.

geir

On Sep 23, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

So the simple-minded JarRunner that I added to DRLVM works for simple things, but I'm seeing the method.invoke() toss a InvocationTargetException wrapping a IllegalAccessError for Geronimo and Eclipse.

I'm sure it's obvious to someone here, but it's not to me. I'm going to keep trying to figure it out, as I'm going to learn something, but if anyone knows the answer, please, just shout it out.

The way that DRLVM works now w/ a jar is that it simplemindedly runs o.a.h.vm.JarRunner, which expects the jar name as the first element in the String[] passed to main(). it opens the jar, finds the main class name from the manifest, gets that Method, and then invokes it.

For simple test jars, it works fine.  For Eclipse, for example, I get

java.lang.IllegalAccessError: from org/eclipse/core/launcher/Main to org/eclipse/core/launcher/Main$Identifier
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:265)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)
        at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(Native Method)
        at org.apache.harmony.vm.JarRunner.main(Unknown Source)

I'm sure it's something obvious I'm overlooking.  Thanks for any help.