On Sep 27, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

On 9/27/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If some doubts exist we can vote about it.

LOL.  No reason to vote - it's a technical issue with a single
true'false answer - would having a single jar of tests screw up a
developer using the HDK as originally intended, namely as a means to
allow them to just checking one classlib module, and use HDK to
supply the rest of the required headers, libraries and classes needed
for building and testing.

if the answer is "yes", then we need to figure out how to deal with
it.  If "no", then there's no problem and we go forward.

The question here isn't "do we want the test.jar" - because I think
we all do. The question is "how do we do this conveniently and safely?"

> I can not see any downside to have one more jar in the HDK.

The problem could arise if that test.jar was used before the classes
in the checked-out module, masking any changes or such that the
developer was making.

So, conclusion is:

- while we does not provide scripts to run tests from this test.jar we have
no problems here;\

- when we will prepare scripts we should add tests from modules before this
test.jar (or prepare 2 separated scripts).

Do I miss something?

One of us is.

If I recall, the point of the test.jar was to have a pre-built jar of tests in the HDK so that someone could setup the build-test infra using the HDK so they could run tests on their platform w/o having to build everything. Good idea. If that's so, then something would have to be configured to have the classlib "test" target use that jar. All I'm saying is that how we do this is important, as we don't want to cause pain for classlib developers who use the HDK for development support.

geir

Thanks, Vladimir