I think you must be looking at a fairly old version of MMTk. writeBarrier is an instance method of a MutatorContext (in org.mmtk.plan).

MutatorContext exists to hold unsynchronized thread-local data structures. Particularly relevant to the write barrier, each mutator context has its own thread-local remset. All of the mutator context methods of MMTk need fast access to the MMTk thread local data structures, which is why they are instance methods. The other critical instance method of a MutatorContext is 'alloc', which also has it's thread-local chunk of the space(s) it allocates into.

As far as the VM is concerned, it will be calling instance methods of a final class. The various classes in org.mmtk.plan.* aren't final, but the VM interface code is expected to wrap the currently selected plan in some final class. JikesRVM wraps the currently selected plan classes in a 'SelectedPlan', 'SelectedMutatorContext' etc.

As far as the VM.barriers.performWriteInBarrier() call is concerned,
the optimization required to devirtualize a call to a final method of a static final field shouldn't be too hard to implement. MMTk recently moved away from using static methods for this part of the interface, to the current abstract factory, and improved the structure of the software significantly. We don't want to go back!

>                                  I erroneously thought we could call
> VM.barriers.performWriteInBarrier() directly. This sort of, kind of breaks
> MMTk architecture.

well, it less 'breaks the architecture' than performs a no-op :)

-- robin

Weldon Washburn wrote:
Ooops. I really tangled things up. You are right about how we are supposed to find the Java write barrier method. It is located in Plan.writeBarrier().
Each GC algorithm has a Plan class that overrides the writeBarrier()
method.  I erroneously thought we could call
VM.barriers.performWriteInBarrier() directly.  This sort of, kind of breaks
MMTk architecture. By design, each GC algorithm in MMTk is supposed to call
Plan.writeBarrier() which, in turn, will call
VM.barriers.performWriteInBarrier.

Sorry for the confusion.